These one-semester internships organized around Golden Thread’s 2017 ReOrient Festival and touring one-woman show, Oh My Sweet Land will provide hands-on experience in theater production, and in marketing and community engagement in a festival setting. 80+ hours’ commitment required to receive class credit.
Oh My Sweet Land schedule – October 12-22, ten to twelve performances across the Bay Area.
ReOrient 2017 schedule – weekly production meetings (2 hrs) in September & October. Rehearsals begin October 23 (20 hrs/wk). Performances at 8pm on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and at 3pm on Sundays, from November 15 to December 10. Location: Potrero Stage, 1695 18th St. San Francisco.
- PRODUCTION INTERNS (seeking up to two)
- Board Operator or Backstage Crew – Under the Production Stage Manager’s supervision, operate sound or projections, and/or light board. Or work back stage to organize props, help with scenic of quick costume changes, and oversee back stage traffic flow. Note performance schedule, which includes nighttime and weekend availability.
- Production/Rehearsal Assistant – Under the Production Stage Manager or Technical Director’s supervision, support rehearsals, help load in scenery, props, costumes; assist designers; support Tech rehearsal; help with strike.
Under the guidance of Festival Production Stage Manager and Production Manager, the intern responsibilities will include:
- PUBLICITY AND OUTREACH INTERN
- Twitter Jockey – Be the festival’s ambassador on Twitter. Post festival news, rehearsal updates and audience testimonials from performances.
- Online Event Posting – Use your online communication skills to promote the festival on all social media platforms and community calendars.
- Poster/Postcard Distribution – Hang posters and drop off festival postcards at bookstores, cafes, libraries, and any other high traffic public spaces.
Under the guidance of Golden Thread’s Director of Marketing, the intern responsibilities will include:
- COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT AND EVENTS INTERN
- Event Coordination & Support – Help organize and execute artist and community events throughout the festival.
- Sponsorships – Procure in-kind donations of food, refreshments, and gift certificates from local businesses and Golden Thread supporters.
- Community Engagement – Help staff develop and implement community engagement activities and events.
Under the guidance of Golden Thread’s staff, the intern responsibilities will include:
These positions require excellent communication and organizational skills, and the ability to work with a variety of people. The ideal candidate will be politically aware and sensitive to the plurality of thought and culture within the Middle East and its world-wide diaspora. Theatre experience preferable but not required.
Golden Thread Productions and/or Potrero Stage
1695 18th Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
Some work may be done remotely
Please send your resume and a cover letter detailing your interest and availability in the body of an email to email@example.com.
Golden Thread Productions is the first American theatre company focused on the Middle East. For the last 20 years, Golden Thread has been expanding the scope of mainstream American storytelling to include Middle-Eastern immigrant perspectives, offering opportunities for deeper dialogue about US-Middle East relations, and advocating for diversity and inclusion in the American theatre nationally.
The ReOrient Festival of Short Plays was inaugurated in 1999 to present alternative perspectives of the Middle East and to showcase the multiplicity of stories, voices and styles from the region and has since becomes Golden Thread’s most recognized and celebrated program. This ambitious festival, now presented biannually, turns San Francisco into a Mecca for innovative, spirited, and thought-provoking theatre from and about the Middle East.